Our Patrons

Past Patrons
Past Patrons

Sir James Foots - Patron from 1992 to 2010

Sir James Foots was the first patron of our Society, from 1992 until his death in 2010. 

James Foots was born in the front bedroom of the family home on the road to Woods Point.  He attended the Jamieson Primary School in the 1920's.  His great interest in mining took him from prospecting in the region as a young boy to earning a Bachelor of Mining Engineering from University of Melbourne in 1937.  His career spanned many managerial roles for various mining companies, culminating in Managing Director of Mount Isa Mines, followed by CEO and Chairman of MIM Holdings.  He was knighted in 1975 for services to the mining industry, and in 1992 he was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO). Sir James Foots has been acknowledged as one of the most respected and valued leaders of the mining industry.

Sir James Foots 1.jpg

Sir James Foots

Dr Brian Lloyd AM - Patron from 2011 to 2014

Brian Lloyd was born & spent his childhood at Ten Mile in the 1930's.  He and his family were there until the 1939 fires destroyed their home, and all of the area of Ten Mile.  The Lloyd family then moved, and settled in Geelong where Brian qualified as an electrical engineer.  Brian's career included executive manager at the Melbourne Water Authority.  In 1984 he gained a Master of Arts (Hons) and Doctor of Philosophy degrees at the University of Melbourne.  In this same year he was also honoured as a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) for services to engineering and education. 

Brian's love of historical writing in conjunction with his love of the Upper Goulburn area lead to him writing many historical books on the area, most notably Jamieson - Founders and Families.

Sadly, Brian passed away in 2014 but his writings, research and significant help to the J&DHS allows us to follow his lead and promote the historical significance of these regions.

Dr Brian Lloyd.png
Brian Lloyd Books.png

Dr. Brian Lloyd

Brian Lloyd publications

Current Patrons

Mervyn and Valerie Wheeler

Mervyn & Valerie (affectionately known as Merv & Val) have been patrons for the Society since 2014.  Both have a great love for the area, not only because this is where Merv has spent all of his life, but it is the place that their love for each other grew.

Merv had a very happy childhood growing up in Jamieson:  fishing, rabbiting, billy carts on the school hill, bike and horse riding and playing football with Jamieson in the Upper Goulburn Football Association.

 
Merv had various jobs which included working in a garage in Mansfield, working with his cousin at Merrijig driving a team of horses and ploughing ground for the sowing of oats.  He also worked for Northern Star Gold Mines at Kevington.    He was also involved in installing the SEC line from the Paps near Mansfield to Woods Point—all felling done with an axe and cross cut saw (no chain saws around at that time).  This job involved the construction of the sub station at Jamieson, A1 and Woods Point. 
 
Merv & Val met in 1952 when her parents, Bert & Stella Devery,  were Licensees of the Court House Hotel.  Val went to work there when her parents had trouble recruiting staff, arriving in Jamieson on Hector Stewart's Bus.  This is where the love affair with Jamieson, and Mervyn, began for Val!

 

They married in 1955 and have two children, Doreen and Laurie. 

   Merv & Val cutting the

   cake for town's 150th

   celebrations in 2011.

MervVal.png